Minimum entry requirements
- Length of study: 3 terms
- Hours per week: 20
- Maximum class size: 14
- Typical student age: 17-25
Typical student mix:
30% European, 35% Far Eastern, 20% Middle Eastern, 15% Other
Dates and fees
- Start dates:
Tuition fees: 17450.00 GBP
- Our admin fee: 49 GBP
- Enrolment fee: 150.00 GBP
- Textbooks: 190.00 GBP
- Laboratory fee: 375.00 GBP
- Other expenses:
Why choose this course?
The International Year One Diploma course in Engineering is equivalent to studying Year 1 of a UK undergraduate degree, and you will be awarded a Certificate of Higher Education on satisfactory completion.
This excellent Engineering course is a quality-assured pathway to degrees in engineering related subjects.
As well as a guaranteed offer from the University of Exeter for successful students and full access to all the university facilities you'll benefit from:
- a quality assured university programme
- full university status
- a conditional offer of a place on the second year of a relevant undergraduate
- degree at the University of Exeter
- professional support and guidance with university applications
- guaranteed placement on the second year of the degree course for all successful students
Who should apply for the International Year One Diploma programme?
The International Year One Diploma Engineering is suitable for international students who have completed A-levels or equivalent, or who are already in the first year of a relevant undergraduate degree in their home country, but do not meet the academic or English language requirements for direct entry to the University of Exeter.
What will I study?
English Language Skills for Academic Study
This module will improve your language profiency within the context of engineering studies in order to develop the ability to read complex academic texts and extract relevant information, you'll be able to produce written assignments in an appropriate format following academic conventions.
You will also develop fluency and confidence in seminar discussions and in the delivery of presentations as well as enhance your ability to extract relevant information from lectures.
What will I study?
This module will introduce key concepts of materials, structures and mechanics. It will also provide the basis for developing the transferable and personal skills appropriate to university study and to later professional life through topics such as engineering drawing, design and health and safety.
Materials and Manufacturing
This module will enable you to develop an awareness of principle engineering materials, their fabrication and their technical and economic considerations.
This module will introduce you to fundamental concepts of solid mechanics and fluid mechanics
The aim of this module is to extend your mathematical skills to the level necessary to complete a BEng or MEng degree programme. It will cover topics which are fundamental to engineers in their professional career as well as the application of mathematics to engineering problems.
Where will it take me?
This course leads to the second year of the following degrees at the University of Exeter:
University of Exeter (Streatham campus)
- BEng/MEng General Engineering
- BEng/MEng Mechanical Engineering
- BEng/MEng Civil Engineering
- BEng/MEng Engineering and Management
- BEng/MEng Materials Engineering
- MEng (4 years) Civil & Environmental Engineering
- BSc Engineering Geology & Geotechnics
- BSc (3 years) Mathematics & Engineering
- BSc/MEng (3/4 years) Renewable Energy
- BEng (3 years) Mining Engineering
This course is classified as a Pre-sessional course by the UK Border Agency