Germany visa information

  • It is extremely important that you apply for the correct visa before you leave home. Different countries have different rules and the purpose of this page is to give you some assistance and guidance.
  • Remember that it is your responsibility to ensure that you have all the correct paperwork. If you are unsure or need further help or advice do please contact us and one of our helpful counsellors will be happy to assist.
  • Regardless of which country you are going to be studying in, different visa rules apply depending on your age, nationality and the length of stay you plan to be in the country.

Germany visa regulations for students

If you are an EU national you do not need a visa to study within the EU. Non EU nationals must have a visa.

1. You can come to Germany without a visa

You can come to Germany without a visa from a country that is marked as "no visa" on this list of the German Foreign Office. Duration: 90 days (except EU citizens, who can stay forever).

To extend your stay beyond 90 days is very easy, if you are from Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, Korea, New Zealand or the USA: once in Germany, you can apply for a residence permit here in Berlin. The application is easy and comfortable. All you need is a confirmation from your chosen school that you will continue your language course (or, if you want to study at a university, an acceptance letter by your German university). Then you just present this document at the Ausländerbehörde Berlin - you can make an email appointment beforehand to save waiting time. If you have questions please email us. We´ll be happy to help.

Other nationals like Brazilians for example, who can come for 90 days without a visa, can often prolong their stay quite easily, too: You are not granted a residence permit, but often (not always) you can get a visa to stay longer. If you want to be on the safe side, contact your local German embassy before leaving home and ask them if you can prolong your stay after arrival in Germany.


2. If you do need a visa

If your country has a 'yes' behind its name on this list of the German Foreign office, we will send you an invitation document for the visa application.

In the invitation we have to confirm, that all costs have been taken care of - thus please note that we can send out the invitation only after having received full payment from you. In case of visa rejection, the full amount will be refunded except for a handling fee of Euro 200. Please find here information about the visa regulations for Germany.

3. Working holiday visas for Germany

These are an option for citizens of Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Japan, Hong Kong, South Korea and Taiwan:

  • age between 18 and 30 (35 for Canadians*)
  • stays of up to 12 months
  • sufficient funds for the first three months (ca. 250 euro per month)

With a Working Holiday visa you can look for a job in Berlin and make some money. Please keep in mind that it will be difficult to find a job with little or no German language skills. Taking German classes will definitely enhance your chances. When to apply: BEFORE coming to Germany if you are from Canada*, South Korea, Taiwan or Hong Kong (just contact your local German embassy or consulate); before OR after having arrived in Germany for citizens of Australia, New Zealand, Japan. 
Note: In Canada the name of the visa is not "Working Holiday", but "Youth Mobility Visa"

Accredited by these organisations : ICEF, English UK