• It is extremely important that you apply for the correct visa before you leave home. Different countries have different rules and the purpose of this page is to give you some assistance and guidance.
  • Remember that it is your responsibility to ensure that you have all the correct paperwork. If you are unsure or need further help or advice do please contact us and one of our helpful counsellors will be happy to assist.
  • Regardless of which country you are going to be studying in, different visa rules apply depending on your age, nationality and the length of stay you plan to be in the country.

Applying for a visa to study in Italy

  • EU citizens do not require a visa to study in Italy.
  • For non European Union citizens who intend to stay and study in Italy there are different options according to the length of stay.

Under three months stay

We suggest not to apply for a study visa. You can simply enter Italy as a tourist. Students from the following countries must apply for a tourist visa: Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, China, Colombia, Macedonia, Georgia, Morocco, Peru, Serbia, Montenegro, Russia, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey and Ukraine.

Over three months stay

People who want to study in Italy must present themselves personally to the Italian  Embassy or Consulate in their country of residence to apply for a study visa.

The documents required are:

  • a valid passport
  • a certificate of enrolment
  • a declaration of available finances, sufficient to maintain the student during the period of study in Italy, authorized and registered by a public notary
  • a letter (and a copy) from the bank indicating the relevant account numbers of the student or that of the parents, attesting to the student’s financial situation
  • an internationally valid health insurance policy

One year stay: if students intend to stay in Italy for study reasons they must apply, before they leave, for a study visa type D according to the length of the studies. The Visa can be issued for a maximum stay of 365 days (one year).

Longer periods of  stay

If students wish to study in Italy for longer periods (at universities or professional schools) they must apply before they leave for a study visa type D (365 days). It must be renewed in Italy each year with a multi-year certificate for study in Italy (pluriennale).

Note: The EU commission pfrovides some useful information for non EU students wanting to study within the EU

Accredited by these organisations : ICEF, English UK